The Nimbin Organic Food Co-op is a not-for-profit community-owned and managed organisation, with the day-to-day running managed by volunteers. Founded in 2014 by an enthusiastic group of local people, the Co-op hopes to have a strong presence in the local community, ensuring regional food security for the future. We have an ethically farmed and sourced food focus as well as supporting foods grown in the nimbin bioregion. We aim to keep our prices low and maintain a sustainable management model into the future. Our price markup reflects our operating costs, and we are never happier than when we are lowering prices for our customers.
How is the Co-op Run?
- The Co-op belongs to the community, and to the people who use it.
- Members can shop in the Co-op. Non-members will pay a small surcharge for daily shopping.
- Co-op members have a say in how the business is run, and are encouraged to engage actively with the Co-op
- The day-to-day running of the Co-op is managed by volunteers
The Goals, Aims and Objective of the Nimbin Food Co-op were accepted by 19 people in attendance at Birth and Beyond on 26/08/2014.
- The Nimbin Organic Food Co-Op is supporting local food that is healthy and affordable.
- The Co-op is available to meet the needs of our members.
- The Co-op is community owned and supportive of local certification
- Our products will focus on high quality, bulk foods and basic staples.
- We aim to foster a better connection to each other and our community as well our local foods
- We aim to be transparent about food miles and work towards lowering them
The Nimbin Organic Food Co-op takes to heart the Rochdale Principles, a set of ideals for the operation of cooperatives. They were first set out by the Rochdale Society of Equitable Pioneers in Rochdale, United Kingdom, in 1844, and have formed the basis for the principles on which co-operatives around the world operate to this day.
The Co-op has developed an Ethical Buying Policy which is still under development. The latest version of the Ethical Buying Policy is as follows:
Ethical Buying Policy
Nimbin Organic Food Co-Op Ltd
As such, the Co-Op strives to buy goods and services that are produced and delivered under conditions that:
• Do not involve the abuse or exploitation of people
• Have the least negative impact on the environment
• Are produced in the Nimbin bioregion in order to support local economy
• Do not contain any genetically modified ingredients
• Minimalize middlemen by purchasing from the producer of importer
• Come from suppliers whose conduct is in keeping with our policyIn cases which appear insoluble, the Co-Op will purchase the best product available until a more suitable product can be sourced.